If you want to get audio file from video, you will need to convert MP4 to MP3. MP3 files are supported by any device that streams music, which is one of the most common reasons for converting. Fortunately, there are dozens of programs and apps that let you do this with just a few clicks.
If you want to convert MP4 to MP3, you have come to the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss the best apps to do this across multiple platforms and provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Mac
If you are a Mac user and want to convert MP4 to MP3, we have good news for you that there are many apps that let you do it quickly and easily.
The application we recommend for the conversion is the “To MP3 Converter Free” application. Besides converting MP4 to MP3, this app can process over 200 audio and video formats. Moreover, it improves the quality of MP3 files if the volume is too low.
The app offers a free and premium version. If you choose the free option, you will have limited options available. The premium version offers features like converting files in batches or adding effects. Follow the steps below to install the app and convert your files:
- Open the Mac App Store and type “To MP3 Converter Free” in the search bar, or visit this website.
- Install the app on your Mac.
- Log in and configure the app.
- Select the file formats you want to convert.
- Drag and drop the MP4 file into your device’s app or browser to select it.
- Once converted, save the file.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Windows 10 PC
There are several applications that allow you to convert MP4 files to MP3 on Windows 10. Our recommendation is “Vidmore Video Converter”. Keep in mind that this app has both free and paid version. With the free version, you can only convert five minutes of a video file.
- Download the app from this website.
- Install the app and choose the free trial.
- Tap the plus sign to add the MP4 file or drag and drop it into the app.
- On the right side, tap “MP4”.
- Press “Audio,” then select the first MP3 option.
- In the lower left corner, choose the destination folder for the MP3 file.
- Select “Convert All”.
- Tap “Continue Free Trial”.
Your MP4 file will now be converted and saved to the preferred folder. If you want to convert more than five minutes of material, save the file in high quality, add different effects to the file, etc., you will need to purchase a subscription.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on iPhone
If you want to convert MP4 files to MP3 and you are using an iPhone, you will be happy to know that there is a free app that you can use. Its name is “Media Converter – video to MP3” and we’ll walk you through the process:
- Go to App Store and download “Media Converter – video to MP3” or tap this link to do so.
- Open the app and tap the plus sign in the top right corner.
- Choose the video you want to convert. You can import it from your folders, Camera Roll, or iCloud Drive.
- Now that you’ve added it to the library, tap the “i” icon on the right.
- Tap “Rip Audio” and customize the settings. You can extract a specific part of the video, adjust the volume, etc.
- Press “Start conversion”.
- Once converted, the file will appear in the library. Tap the “i” icon on the right.
- Choose whether you want to share the file through an app or save the file to your device.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 on Android
Android users who want to convert MP4 files to MP3 can find several useful apps in Play Store. The application we recommend is called “Video to MP3 Converter – MP3 Cutter and Merger”.
Besides converting your video to audio files, the app allows you to customize volume, cut specific parts of files, etc.
Follow the steps below to use it:
- Go to Play Store and search for “Video to MP3 Converter – MP3 Cutter and Merger” or click this link.
- Install and open the app.
- Choose “Video to audio”. The app will ask you for permission to access media and files on your device.
- Select the MP4 file you want to convert.
- Under “Format”, select “MP3”.
- Tap “Convert.”
- The file will be converted and saved to your device. You can choose to share it through different apps, set it as ringtone, etc.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in iTunes
You can convert MP4 files to MP3 in iTunes for Windows or Apple Music app for Mac. If you are using Windows, follow these steps:
- Open iTunes.
- In the main menu, press “Edit”, then “Preferences”.
- Select the “General” tab and press “Import Settings”.
- From the Import menu, choose MP3 Encoder.
- Choose the files you are converting, press “File,” then choose “Convert.”
- Press “Create MP3 version”.
Your file will be converted to MP3 and placed in the library. If you want it elsewhere, drag and drop it to the preferred location.
If you are using a Mac, follow the steps below:
- Open Apple Music.
- Tap “Music”, then select “Preferences”.
- Go to the “Files” tab, then tap “Import Settings”.
- Choose the encoding format MP3.
- Select the files you are converting.
- Select “File,” then press “Convert.”
- Press “Create MP3 version”. The MP3 files will appear in your library.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 with VLC
VLC is one of the most popular free media player and it is available on multiple platforms. It doesn’t offer a lot of features for editing and customizing your files, but it does cover the basics, which is sufficient for most users. Here’s how to convert your files with VLC Player:
- If you don’t already have it, download the player from this website and open it.
- Select “Media” and choose the “Convert / Save” option.
- Press “Add” and select the file you want to convert.
- Select “Convert / Save”.
- Go to “Profile” and choose “Audio – MP3”.
- Press “Browse” and choose where you want to save the file.
- Select “Start”.
Once the process is complete, your file will be saved in the folder of your choice.
How to Convert MP4 to MP3 in Audacity
Audacity is another free application available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Besides other options, you can use it to convert MP4 files to MP3. To be able to do this, you will need to install the FFmpeg library, without which Audacity cannot convert your files. Here’s how to do it:
- If you haven’t already, download Audacity and open it.
- If you are on Windows, press “Edit” and open “Preferences”. If you’re on a Mac, press “File,” then select “Preferences.”
- Open the “Libraries” tab.
- Tap “Download” next to “FFmpeg Library”. You will be redirected to the FAQ section of the FFmpeg library. Open the installation section for your operating system for instructions.
- Once you have installed the FFmpeg library, open the folder containing the MP4 file you want to convert and drag and drop it into Audacity.
- Press “File” and select “Export to MP3” under “Export.” Choose the destination of the MP3 file.
When the conversion is completed, the file will be saved in the selected folder.
Convert MP4 to MP3 for Free
Converting MP4 files to MP3 files allows you to save your favorite tracks from videos and listen to them whenever you want. Most apps require the purchase of a subscription, but we’ve put together this list of free apps or those that offer free trials that allow conversion without paying. While most of the free versions limit the number of options available, they get the job done.
How to convert MP4 files to MP3? Are you using some of the apps we mentioned above? Tell us in the comments section below.