Valve this week released a new customer update for Steam to give its users a polished download page to manage their games. With this new download system, the player should have a better idea of when their updates are actually complete. Perhaps the most important part of this downloads update is the ability to quickly view patch notes for a recent game update thanks to a new button dedicated to this purpose.
In the image provided below by Valve, we see what the new downloads page looks like. The total progress of a downloaded game or update will now be displayed on the page to more clearly indicate when, exactly, a download will be completed. You can also see the patch notes button next to the size of the Necromunda: Rental Pistol SEO.
– Steam (@Vapor) September 10, 2021
The patch notes for the download page portion of the update can be found below.
New downloads page
- When a game / update is downloading, it will now show the total progress completed for the download or update. Previously, the progress bar only showed the progress of the content download, but not the disk allocation process, so an update appeared to be complete when it was not.
- Any partially completed downloads / updates in the queue will now show a dimmed progress bar and percentage complete next to it to clearly show its current status.
- A new icon (i) next to the game title will reveal a tooltip displaying the types of content included in this update. The types are: game content, downloadable content, workshop content, and shader pre-cache. This icon only appears if the update is not just for game content.
- The download queue is now fully reorderable by drag and drop.
- The context menu for the item being downloaded now includes an option to launch the game when the download is complete and an option to suspend the download limitation (if enabled) for the duration of that download.
- The “Show News” button is now a “Patch Notes” link which will open an overlay of the most recent relevant patch notes for the game. This will only show for games that have entered ratings update in the new event system. The patch notes link will only appear on updates, not on new installations. For workshop updates, a page of subscribed articles classified by update date is accessible by selecting “Show updated articles” in the contextual menu.
While the update to the download page is the highlight, it’s far from the only thing in the patch notes. You can see the full set of notes here.